Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Falling Apart

While many people HATE admitting their age, it is actually something to be thankful for. I remember there was a time when I didn't have to concern myself with what I ate. I didn't care what time I went to bed, I could function on 2 or 3 hours of sleep. I didn't have to exercise or any of the things that I have been challenged to do TODAY.

The other morning about 2:30AM, I woke up with the most excruciating pain in my side. I got out of bed and headed to the bathroom where I began to feel dizzy and light-headed. The next thing I knew, I was laying in the bath tub. I was home alone with no one around to hear my cry for help. It took me back to those days of the commercial, where the woman says "I've fallen and I can't get up". Back in the day, those commercials provided humor for many of us, but I would have never dreamed it would happen to ME. I pulled myself out of the tub and made my way to my cell phone because I figured that I would need to call someone for help. The people I needed to call were stored in my cell phone but not in my memory bank as once upon a time I could recite most people's number, but technology allows us to store so why remember?

I called my best friend who was out of town. I called a close by neighbor who had a truck and was able to pick me up and take me to the hospital. Oh, I left out a very crucial element to this story.... I was passing BLOOD in my urine. I was so scared. I felt like I was falling apart. This had NEVER happened to me before, so why now?

We got to the emergency room and it was pretty quiet, thankfully and there weren't many people waiting to be serviced. They wheeled me in, took all my vitals and drew blood. Four hours later, after a cat scan and an ultra sound, I was informed that I had kidney stones. What? I've heard of gall bladder and kidney stones before, but I had no idea what they really were. Apparently, mineral deposits form and collect around each other getting bigger and bigger and at some point they have to pass.

All I kept wondering is, why is this happening to me? Is this a sign of aging? What was going on? I had been praying and asking God, but of course there is no direct answer. I just took all of this to mean that God was trying to tell me to SLOW DOWN. I had been running around tending to this and that and I hadn't been sleeping or drinking enough fluids. Now I have to start rethinking what I eat and be sure to drink plenty of water. I no longer feel like I'm falling apart, but I'm growing.

BLACK MEN. Tend to your health!

No comments: