Sunday, August 10, 2008

Discipline

I have to admit that over the years, I have learned how to become better disciplined and focus, but I have to admit, it's NOT an easy task.

Working on one's self doesn't have to be difficult, I think we make it difficult because life tells us that we should just do as we are told. One of my quests as of late is to transform myself into a NEW person. Not that there is anything wrong with the OLD person, but I yearn for MORE, I year to be a better person. I want to expand my vocabulary. I want to meet new people. I want to travel to new places and see how people in other parts of the world live.

In recent conversations, I've told people that I am pretty bored with American culture. I've been fortunate enough to travel to countries like Brazil (twice), South Africa (twice, and lived there for a total of 4 months with plans to return later this year), Puerto Rico and my favorite new destination Japan! I have wanted to experience Japan for going on 2 years now and I am finally here! The country is amazing. The city is thriving and so clean. One thing that I like most about being here is that nobody bothers me. There is close to zero crime here, the customer service is impeccable. Their train system is like no other that I have ever ridden on and for the most part, the people are nice.

One thing I have to say about the Japanese is that they are pretty disciplined. From the way they keep their environment clean to the way they organize themselves day to day. I am trying my best to adopt a few ways while I am here. Unfortunately, there is a bit of a language barrier because I don't speak any Japanese. Thankfully, they speak English. Well some of them.

In closing, I ask the question: How disciplined are you?

No comments: